This is a blog all just for me. It has no purpose whatsoever except for me to share some of the random nonsense I happen to be thinking about in my day-to-day life. Sometimes it sure is nice not to have a purpose.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Change, Change, Change

Change is a fact of life. Nothing remains constant from moment to moment, and so you think we'd all be used to change by now. But instead, people are so completely afraid of change. I can understand how people do not like changes that are made without their power or say, but I am having a frustrating time with how people are just as afraid to make changes that they have complete power over.

What is the one thing that any of us really have the power to change? Ourselves! Yet, it is so difficult for people to reflect on themselves and to change themselves. I agree that self-reflection is not an easy task. I, too, get my feelings hurt when receiving criticism, and I, too, can get depressed when I realize that I've made mistakes or know that I have shortcomings. But, at the same time, I see that I can either just keep going down the same road or else I can try to find a better way.

Believe me, I know for sure that I do not have all of the answers. I know for sure that I am not perfect. I know for sure that there is a lot of room for me to change for the better, but I am determined not to stagnate out of a fear of change. I will do research to help find other possible answers. I will ask questions, solicit help, and take any advice I get to heart. Perhaps I will fail in my attempts, perhaps I will sometimes even "make it wo-orse," but if what I'm doing is already not working (at least not optimally), then what is there to lose?

So, even while I am frustrated by the people I see around me who are not ready to change, I am looking within myself to make sure I am honestly considering their points of view. I am brainstorming ways that I can change my approach with them to possibly yield other results. I am even considering change in terms of simply removing myself from situations, because sometimes acts of omission are the most powerful statements or acts of change.

And, although it is important to be mindful and sensitive of possible repercussions when making changes, it is also important not to get stuck in just thinking and theorizing. I believe in putting change into action as soon as possible. I've learned that if I wait to try things out later, then they most likely never happen. Thus, I am experimenting with changes all of the time and then sampling the reactions and results that I get. It is reflection that spurs on the change and it is reflection that must evaluate the change for further refinement.

No comments:

Post a Comment